Saturday, November 5, 2016

Lessons learned from ecology

Recently in my ecology class we watched a clip from a documentary about certain kinds of birds and their mating behaviors. You see the male birds go way out of their way to make themselves more attractive, to build the best nest, do the best dance, collect the best blue objects and so on in the hopes of wooing a female. In many cases the female visits the male and then goes of to consider while comparing him to other males. My immediate comment in class? Human males are slacking!

Have you ever noticed that women do 95% of the work? It's hair and makeup and shaving and perfume and the right outfit and shoes. Dozens of minuscule little details, most of which men don't even notice, and we're the ones putting on the display. What the hell? When did this happen?

You see I've recently realized that I've been playing the game wrong my entire dating life. Early on I didn't feel attractive and I was made to feel that if I wanted to be worthy of the attention of men, I was going to have to put in the work. That's bull and I'm not doing it any more.

My professor said it best: Eggs are expensive and sperm is cheap.

See the animal kingdom still gets this. Females get to be choosy, we've got the rarer and more precious commodity. See a man can go around and mate with lots of females, but the female only gets the one chance to pass on her genes. It pays to be picky. So now the males have to compete and show her why they are worthy. She can afford to be aloof and make them wait and sweat it out while she makes her decision. Passing on their genes depends on her. Now while human dating isn't typically about passing on genes (usually we're trying to avoid that for a good long while) the principle should still translate. I have no idea how the whole idea got flipped around, but I am reclaiming it.

I feel powerful. I am woman, hear me roar. Yeah, I'm getting carried away, but fuck it. For the first time I feel like I'm worth something. I am worth being adored, chased and pursued.

So put on your best display guys, you're going to have to work to impress me.


Also if you want a laugh you can watch the clip I'm talking about. I'm telling you, guys are slacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment